Map with: Google Map, or OS Explorer Map from Streetmap.co.uk

Other Sites Within 500m

Southstoke Lane Quarry 2  Springfield Quarry  Coxe's Vertical Shaft Quarry  Springfield Quarry Gulls  Top Works Adit No.1 

 Go to the Main Mendip Cave Registry Search Page

Horsecombe Mine

Combe Down, Bath.

NGR:ST 75107 62158
WGS84:51.35794, -2.35889
Length:0 m
Depth:0 m
Altitude:0 m
Tags:Mine, Lost
Registry:wbc

There are several adits/levels/quarries shown on old OS maps of the Horsecombe Valley.

In 1883 George Dames and his brother Charles Richard Dames leased land in Horsecombe Vale from the Midford Castle estate and opened a mine and processing works for Fuller's earth. The mines extended nearly 8.1 ha through four adits. In 1915 the works was taken over by the Fuller's Earth Union and despite geological problems continued until the end of World War II.

Alternate Names: None recorded.

Notes: Summer use at the newly created Shaft Complex after bat exclusion from Byfield underground stone quarry was not as successful as in winter. In the Springs of 2008 and 2009, Greater horseshoe bats could not be located using any of the Combe Down mines. Later in 2008, many adults moved into Horsecombe Mine and had an unknown number of babies there that summer. It seems that these bats prefer to stay close to the traditional foraging areas identified by the radio-tracking study in 2000, rather than make use of an incubator chamber provided further away

 Search for this site in the MCRA Bibliography.

This entry was last updated: 2024-03-02 14:13:41

Errors or omissions in this information? Submit corrections/additions/comments for this entry to the registrars.

All database content Copyright 2024 Mendip Cave Registry and Archive.
Your use of this website is subject to the Disclaimer.
Web Registry software by Matt Voysey.