Map with: Google Map, or OS Explorer Map from

Other Sites Within 500m

Tommy's Dig  Brownes' Grotto  Brownes' Arch  Unnamed Hole - 9  Normandy  Unnamed Hole - 4  Unnamed Hole - 8  Stoke Lane Slocker  Summer Cave  Cook's Wood Spring  MacSword  Omaha  Stock's Hole  Unnamed Hole - 10  Cook's Wood Quarry Caves  MacDonald's Folly  Unnamed Hole - 1  Sword  Bector Wood Quarry Tube  Stoke Lane Depression  Unnamed Hole - 5  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 7  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 9  Unnamed Hole - 2  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 8  Unnamed Hole - 3  Stoke Lane Quarry Spring  Unnamed Hole - 6  D-Day Series  Utah  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 4  Pillbox  Juno  Treasures Quarry Fissure  Bector Wood Quarry Cave - 1  Crushing Plant Slocker  Bector Wood Quarry Pot  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 6  Gold  Arachnid Rift  Unnamed Hole - 7  Bector Wood Quarry Cave - 2  Iron Works Slocker  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 5  Spider Hole  Cook's Wood Quarry Lake Hole  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 3  Birthday Cave  Stoke Lane Quarry Cave - 2  Twister Rift  Hurricane Hole  Hunting Lodge Slocker  Moon's Hill Lane Quarry Rifts  East End Sink  Trough Sink  Millpond Slocker  East End Sink - 2  Mosquito Hole  East End Sink - 4  Blackwell Spring 

 Go to the Main Mendip Cave Registry Search Page

Brownes' Hole

Stoke Lane Valley, Stoke St.Michael.

NGR:ST 6692 4757
WGS84:51.22635, -2.47511
Length:275 m
Depth:15 m
Altitude:177 m

A roomy entrance passage yields a short but moderately entertaining round trip following a complex of small interconnecting slippery passages and tiny 'chambers' formed within an extensive and steeply inclined bedding plane. Also accessible from 'Tommy's Dig', this section of the cave is considered suitable for novices (A further shaft to the surface is now closed). Beyond lies the arduous Upstream Series, a sequence of intimidating ducks and muddy, water-filled drainpipes which can be followed east towards Hunting Lodge Slocker. The cave was discovered by the Browne family of Frome, who completely excavated the main passage as far as the bedding plane between 1947 and 1955, when the Upstream Series was opened. Finds included a human skeleton and a hyaena tooth. WCC extended the Upstream Series in 1980 to its present limit. Usually dry, water has been known to pour from the entrance in extreme flood conditions.

Alternate Names: None recorded.

 Search for this site in the MCRA Bibliography.

Photos from the MCRA Archive:

This entry was last updated: 2014-06-06 10:59:58

Errors or omissions in this information? Submit corrections/additions/comments for this entry to the registrars.

All database content Copyright 2021 Mendip Cave Registry and Archive.
Your use of this website is subject to the Disclaimer.
Web Registry software by Matt Voysey.