Go to the Main Mendip Cave Registry Search Page
Lodge Hill, Combe Down, Bath.
|NGR:||ST 7690 6247|
Quite large quarry east of Shaft Road worked in 1850s and closed 1934-5 having covered an area of 6.5 acres. Small regular system and there are a number of main galleries like wheel spokes from the entrance. the quarry was very shallow, only feet below the surface.
Alternate Names: Combe Down Quarries, Shaft Mine, Shaft Road Quarry, Shaft Road Mine
Notes: The stone from Lodge Hill was used in the restoration of Henry VII's Chapel at Westminster in 1819. It was owned by Vaughan-Jenkins family. In 1858 it was being worked by Thos. Shepherd, J. Davidge, J. Sumsion, Henry Stone and J. Vaughan.
This entry was last updated: 2017-05-16 13:50:02
Errors or omissions in this information? Submit corrections/additions/comments for this entry to the registrars.